TechyGeekGirlKnits

aka: Shannon's Shananigan's (Since there seems to be less & less knitting and more Shananigan-ing going on as of late and well, let's face it, she's just going to always be a techygeekgirl!!)

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Confessions Of A Swimming Princess

I admit it....I am a swimming princess. Or as my parents like to say - "An oldest child that thinks that she's the ONLY child!" (yeah,whatever!) Anyway, I would call myself a swimming Diva, but I'm not that fast, so I'll settle for princess. Why, you ask, am I a self proclaimed princess? Because I prefer to swim in a lane by myself, or with other swimmers who can keep up AND know how to "circle swim" or share a lane. If they cannot do that, then I admit that I get a little crabby with them...I don't mean to, it's just that I don't like to work out longer than I have to and would like to get a decent workout!

With that being said, I started my Master's swimming program tonight. It was Ok, though I need to figure out a more challenging workout. (I was lapping the other 2 guys in the program...) I think I went around 2200 yards tonight, but I lost count in the middle of it. It was the 3rd time I swam this week , but I had run/walked last night and worked on shoulder weights, so I was a little sore. It's amazing what different muscle groups are used for swimming and running.

So I've been able to parlay another "hobby" into a job...or at least get my Y membership paid for. I was asked by the Aquatic director at the Y to coach kids competitive swimming on Weds nights from 6:45 to 8pm and it will get my membership paid for. Um, Yeah, hello, how can I say no to that? There are 2 high school kids that "coach" them now, but they need a little "adult" guidance to help them. It will be challenging, but fun! (I've already called Dad to get some advice on setting up workouts....)

This weekend is my Spring Catalog open house for Close To My Heart. I don't know how many people will be coming - I invited around 50 and I know a bunch will be by to see everything. I still have to make my sample cards and set up my display boards, but that's a project for tomorrow night. The ideas for cards/pages are "floating" around in my head...I just have to actually put them on paper! There are some really cool items out there, so the product really sells itself. The turn out should be good.

Oh yeah, and the knitting...I am still working on the Irish Hiking Scarf for Ali's boyfriend Jim. It's a tan Worsted Misti Alpaca (100% Baby Alpaca) and my first attempt at cabling. (It's much easier than I thought!) I only have 3 sets of stitches finished, but I see the cables, so that's a good sign! Only another 5 feet to go!!






My other project right now are the Fiber Trends Snow Country Felted Mittens in Outback Wool from Plymouth. The first one is complete and I have some of the ribbing of the cuff for the second one finished. They should be very cute when I felt them. Anna has finished her pair and they are cute. She had some advice on the thumbs which was good...thanks!

I had my neighbor Kara ask me to teach her to knit the other day. While I feel comfortable that I know what I am doing, I don't feel like I'm good enough to teach someone else how to - I've only been doing this since the end of July '05 and Robin, who's been doing this for YEARS taught me to start, then I took a class at Knitorious in August. (In knitting, I'm a serious Princess in Training...no where close to DIVA!) Anyway, Anna told me that I would be Ok teaching because 1: I have made a purse, 3 ribbed scarfs, fuzzy feet, mittens, a cabled scarf and hats 2: I just walked her husband Wayne through a majorly screwed up Excel worksheet AND he understands it (for the most part...if he doesn't touch anything!) and 3:I am actually employed as a training manager, so I have some "training" experience. It will be Ok and we'll have fun, or at the very least a very good excuse to get together over bottles of wine (like we need good excuses...please!)

Sometimes it's good to be the princess of some things...Now I must get some "beauty" rest....Ok, actually rest my sore body...

1 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Ginny said...

Shannon-

Crazy Aunt Purl linked to your blog, and I wanted to say as a new knitter and new blogger, I really dig it!

I also wondered if I might trouble you for some geeky help. I really want to join the knitting blogs ring and put up some buttons from the other blogs I love, but I don't know how to get the images to come up on Blogger.

My site is muthaknitter.blogspot.com if you want to check it out. If you have time, I'd appreciate any pointers you can give since you have buttons up on your page.

Thanks!! And I'll be reading your blog!

Ginny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home